Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 5 year old cat has been leaking diarehha in color. she…

Customer Question
My 5 year old...

My 5 year old cat has been leaking diarehha brown in color. she eats and eats no worms. not dehydrated. had been on predisone and metronidazole. she also has a bad odor. I love her to death. any advise?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Nubbin and she is 5 years old. She is drinking water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Nubbin?

5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nubbin?

Thats about it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/21/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Nubbin is having diarrhea.
I am guessing that your regular vet started her on the Prednisone and Metronidazole to treat the diarrhea? If you have not noted any improvement since starting these two medications, then I would recommend a prescription diet that is really helpful for kitties having GI problems. The name of this diet is Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Fiber Response. It does require your regular vet's approval as it is a prescription diet. You can order the food on Chewy.com and the website faxes an approval form to your vet's clinic.
Another thing that Nubbin should be getting right now is a probiotic. The Metronidazole is an antibiotic and usually works well for diarrhea. But, probiotics are just as important. I use a probiotic called Fortiflora for my patients. It comes in a packet that you sprinkle on the food once per day. You should also be able to order this on Chewy.com

My concern for Nubbin is that it does not sound like we have determined the cause of her diarrhea. You mentioned she does not have worms, so hopefully your regular vet checked her stool for intestinal parasites and she was negative. There are a lot of things that can cause diarrhea in cats besides intestinal parasites though. Some common things include inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Steroids (prednisone) is usually the treatment for IBD. The only way to definitively diagnose IBD in a cat is with biopsies of the GI tract. These are are obtained via an endoscopy procedure or abdominal surgery. A lot of cat owners do not elect for this as it is expensive and the patient has to go under general anesthesia for this. So in some cases we will preemptively start steroids. If the cat's diarrhea improves with steroid then we say that the cause is likely IBD. However, it sounds like Nubbin's diarrhea has not improved with steroids? Other causes of diarrhea in cats include a malabsorption problem in the GI tract. There is a blood test called the Texas A&M GI panel that tests for this and this is a test your regular vet can send out to the lab. I would recommend it. Another helpful test would be an abdominal ultrasound. This would all the radiologist to measure the diameter/thickeness of the intestines. We know what normal thickness is and if Nubbin's intestines were abnormally thick then this fits with IBD or GI lymphoma. She is young at 5 years old to have cancer, but it is still a possibility. The ultrasound would also tell us what her stomach, liver, pancreas,kidneys and urinary tract looked like to make sure there are no abnormalities noted there.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I recommend starting with the prescription diet and probiotic. If there is no improvement in stool consistency within 2 weeks, then ask for the GI blood panel to be sent out +/- abdominal ultrasound.

Cat Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Hello. I am following up to see if you had any additional questions for me??

I would appreciate if you would hit accept at the top right of your screen and left me a review. Thank you.

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb