Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

10 yr old DSH. Blue eyes part Siamese. Eyes constantly

10 yr old DSH...

10 yr old DSH. Blue eyes part Siamese. Eyes constantly dilated & watering. Took to vet yesterday. Blood tests show thyroid 4.43 & high heart rate. All other tests normal. But vet doesn't want to treat the thyroid says its normal high. To see an eye specialist instead. My cat is laying around constantly. Still peeing & eating. Gained 1 pound from last years vet appointment. He meows a lot & attacked my arm 3 days ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your Siamese. What is the Siamese's name?

Conner. I don't have a lot of money t o be taking Conner to its without treatment.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Conner?

He has had intermittent asthma attacks & misses the couch when jumping up. Seems unsure of where his feet should land. I thought that was from the eye issue but could be arthritis.

The vet wants to give pill form steroids. Thinking it will help with the asthma & arthritis.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What questions can I answer for you today?

Can you share a copy of the most recent blood results obtained?

I was only told via phone call the blood tests. All normal except the thyroid at 4.43 & the exam yesterday showed high heart rate via blood pressure Doppler. They did a comprehensive panel blood work. And want to try a month of lactulose for the hard stool & pill form steroids for the intermittent asthma & arthritis. Nothing for the thyroid & didn't see anything wrong in the dilated eyes.
I have made an appointment for an eye specialist. The earliest time is April 9. Supposed to pick up the steroid pills this afternoon.

If you can have them email a copy and attach results for me to see, that would be very helpful. How high was the heart rate?

Did they discuss using something other than steroids for the asthma and arthritis, such as an inhaler and joint supplement?

What questions can I address for you today?

No to anything else besides the steroids. This is frustrating in them not giving me the copies. I think the vet wanted to wait until Conner saw the eye specialist before prescribing anything. I'm going to ask again for a copy this afternoon. As for the heart rate, the vet didn't seem all that concerned at 130 rate.

Here's my school of thought: If the heart rate is elevated and heart disease cannot be ruled out as a potential cause (that does sometimes go along with hyperthyroidism). Steroid usage in cats and diabetes tend to go hand in hand, so I'm hesitant to use steroids in my personal pets. Additionally, I would refuse to used steroids for my animal unless I knew for certain that a heart affliction didn't exist and that steroids were really my only choice. I, personally, would insist on an inhaler (such as fluticasone to be used with the Aerokat delivery system) and using a joint supplement like http://www.glycoflex.com. I feel uncomfortable using steroids or NSAIDs for arthritis when a joint supplement is not also (or already) being used. I also deal with a lot of underlying heart issues in cats, so this is my "play it safe" route for older kitties or those with potential underlying issues where I don't know their heart health. That all being said, 130 BPM feels normal to me. I'd be more concerned about a heart rate over something over 200BPM. Typically 220BPM or higher is suspect for hyperthyroidism, especially in the presence of a gallop rhythm, for cats with higher thyroid values. Your vet is right, though, that the values are high normal for a cat. For some cats this can yield symptoms, for others it may not. There are additional diagnostics to try to determine if hyperthyroidism does exist. I also want to mention that cats with hyperthyroidism tend to LOSE weight, not GAIN. Based on what you've shared here, I think thyroid issues are unlikely but the potential does exist. I do think that seeing an eye specialist would be wise given the history you've shared of chronic dilation, watering and also missing things when he jumps.

Thank you. That's what I thought about the heart as well. Even though the vet said his heart sounded normal. I'll ask more questions this afternoon. & on the eye appointment.

Let me know if I can assist further. This thread will stay open if you have any questions pertaining to the original topic. I'll keep an eye out and good luck!

Thank you for your time & info.

Absolutely.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse