Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

While holding her skin up to give my cat her insulin shot…

While holding her skin...

While holding her skin up to give my cat her insulin shot the needle pricked my finger holding up her skin. When I took out the needle it pass through her skin. I have had hep b in the past that resolved 15 years ago. Could she get in from my blood this way.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Twiggy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Twiggy?

She has EPI and high blood sugar

3/21/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, Hepatitis B isn't a virus that can infect cats. In fact, the casual exposure to your blood isn't likely to affect Twiggy in any manner. Your blood cells will be quickly destroyed by her immune system. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Could I get anything from Twiggy ? She just has EPI and diabetes. Her insulin shot did not drawl any blood , it was just under her skin .

No, you can't. Simply wash and disinfect your skin prick as you would do with any minor wound. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Thank You

You're quite welcome.