Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

6 days ago I accidentally used 23 lb dog frontline on my…

6 days ago I...

6 days ago I accidentally used 23 lb dog frontline on my nine pound cat. Wiped it off within two minutes. Used Dawn in like warm water to rinse the rest. Seemed fine. Last night I noticed he was less friendly and more lethargic. This morning he was growling at me and the other animals. Eating treats and dedicated. I’m worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

More concerned about the growling and his behavior.

3/21/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back soon with a reply.

Well, I wouldn't be too worried about the Frontline, I found this on the Frontline website:

I have treated my cat with FRONTLINE Plus for Large Dogs by mistake. Will it harm him?

FRONTLINE Plus has a long established and wide margin of safety and your cat should be fine. There is no need to stress your cat by bathing him, but if you have recently applied the product you can dab off any excess on the back of the neck with a tissue. If you have any concerns about your pet please contact your local veterinarian or call us on 0800-800-822.

As far as the growling...

I'm wondering if he has skin irritation making him grumpy. Do you notice any redness to the skin in the area you applied it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No irritation or sores

Have you found urine and stool in the box recently? No vomiting or diarrhea? Any stressers in the house (pets, people)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Saw him dedicate. He did eat and drink. Same animal siblings as usual. Didn’t want me to hold him and he’s a lover. Growled and swatted you face.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Deficate not dedicate!

Hmm, his signs seem fairly vague then. It does seem like he's uncomfortable in some way. I'd probably recommend to get a vet visit if it persists more than 24 hours. Hopefully a hands on exam might show where he hurts.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you.

Hope he feels better soon! Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian