Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is 5 months old, has had a runny nose with sneezing and…

Customer Question
He is 5 months...

He is 5 months old, has had a runny nose with sneezing and snot and runny eyes for over a few weeks and now has this bump on his neck- right side. Eating and drinking and using the bathroom fine....What could it be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Peanut Butter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He is not fixed and we rescued him

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its more of the right side of his face and near his eye too
3/21/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Peanut Butter, please?

In most cases those respiratory signs you're seeing are due to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing. It's important to recognize that an intact can that had been roaming unattended outside has a significant risk of contracting one of the dangerous viruses of cats - feline leukemia (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency (FIV). This viruses are usually contracted through bite wounds and that bump concerns me for a bite wound abscess.

It would be prudent to have Peanut Butter attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. Testing for those viruses should be performed before anything more is treated as those viruses are usually life-threatening. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 28 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian