Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I came home today and my male cat threw up a foamy pink

Hi! I came home...

Hi! I came home today and my male cat threw up a foamy pink color. He hasn’t thrown up since but I am checking since the vet office is closed for the evening

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No I don’t believe so. The cat food doesn’t have any of the red dye in it and after he ate soft food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Aspen and he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aspen?

I don’t think so. He’s still acting himself (not in pain when I touch his stomach and purring)

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hi Dr Peter! Thank you for taking the time to review

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he on any medications?

4- Did he get into anything pink?

No, no, no and I don’t believe so
Unless you can think of something pink i wouldn’t know what it would be

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

No worries! Thank you

Friend, in the absence of him getting into something that is pink in the house the immediate concern is that this could be blood. The presence of blood suggests that there is something damaging the wall of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, an infection, ulcers, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that he continues to behave normally without any other symptoms is very good. However, I would have him checked by your veterinarian for a hands-on examination to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, do not give Pepto Bismol. Instead, you can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi! Thank you for the response. So it would be okay for me to wait until morning to get in touch with my in person vet? Also Pepcid ac is okay for cats, and how does this help? Just making sure. Thank you!

It sounds like he is very stable and not in a life-threatening condition. So, yes, I would wait until the morning. Symptoms that would require an ER vet are lethargy, if he continues to vomit, panting, pale gums, etc.

Pepcid AC is used in people but we can use it in cats and dogs; it is an acid reducer that will help if there is ulceration in the upper gastrointestinal tract. In addition, it helps with nausea and vomiting.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you!