Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She had oral surgery yesterday, I got home this evening &

Customer Question
She had oral surgery...

She had oral surgery yesterday, I got home this evening & found a note from my husband telling me to stick her and give her some liquid. She is a cat. After looking over the meds, there are syringes with directions to give then inside her mouth in her cheek flap. I finally found the cat, wrapped her in a towel but cannot both open her mouth and give her an injection

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

It is a pain med following teeth extractions

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Rosie, 3 yrs old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/21/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Is the name of the pain medication Buprenex (generic name buprenorphine)?

I was thinking I should take her to an emergency vet service, that was what I was looking for

If so this is not a medication she needs to, or should, swallow. It is absorbed very well across mucous membranes (the gums) and into the bloodstream.

You can wrap her in a towel and put her on your lap, bum towards your abdomen.

Hold her head and tilt it up very slightly with one hand. With the other hand guide the tip end of the medicine syringe (needle off) in her mouth on the side of her mouth where the upper and lower lips meet, placing the tip of the syringe just inside her mouth and dribble the medication in. It should be a small enough amount that it won't fall out and will effectively be absorbed from that location.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****