Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Got into a cat fight 7 hours ago. Right shoulder is swollen…

Customer Question
Got into a cat...

Got into a cat fight 7 hours ago. Right shoulder is swollen 3 times size and seems to have a bite mark. Should i give Rimadyl or other anti-inflammatory? Cat weighs 5 lb., young approximately 18 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Pumpkin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pumpkin?

Had all necessary shots 6 months ago.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Thank you. It's 2:50 am your time in the wee hours of the night...

No problem, working on your answer now ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Pumpkin has this problem, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I am so glad you asked about this and did not just go ahead and dose your cat, you see Rimadyl in particular and most of the other over the counter human painkillers can be very toxic to cats, so there is nothing you can do along these lines to make your cat more comfortable.

2. There are however special prescription anti-inflammatory drugs for cats which your vet can give although you may be dealing with an abscess in which antibiotics may be more useful, but also sometimes lancing is required.

3. Given the above, what you should do is just to keep your cat comfortable and reassured and take him or her in to your regular vet tomorrow.

The chances are this is not a serious situation. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Pumpkin's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you. I have Pumpkin resting comfortably in a warm room with water, food and litter box. Still non-weight bearing on the right front. I'll be at my vet first thing in the morning!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Pumpkin is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cat fight...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?