Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My adult cat (housebound only) cries a lot and never seems…

Customer Question
Hi there! My adult...

Hi there! My adult cat (housebound only) cries a lot and never seems to clean his eyes. He gets little lumps of dry sleep in the lower corners and lately they´ve been more red in colour than black, which I always assumed was just dust. Should I panic?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Not really, we know he doesn't have cat-AIDS or anything else that we could test him for. Amazing, thank you!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I should mention cries means tears up, not whining or making noises (unless he thinks his bowl isn't quite full enough!)
3/21/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear your cat is crying and seems to not be grooming. How old is he?

He's about 3, we adopted him from a shelter though so that's an estimate. We've had him for over a year now and he's always had the issue with tears that he just doesn't clean. We did move house 3 months ago though so were hoping less dust might help.

I think allergies are a possibility. Some cats also are carries of herpesvirus, which in cats causes signs like sneezing and a runny nose from time to time. One way to check whether allergies could be the culprit is by giving him one tablet of 25 mg Benadryl every 12 hours. If his symptoms improve, at least some of what is going on is due to allergies. If it doesn't improve, then most likely it is due to herpesvirus. Another possibility is that the ducts at the corner of his eyes are blocked, so debris keeps building up. The last possibility is less likely, however, and treatment for it would be taking him to your vet to have his nasolacrimal ducts flushed with sterile saline. Thank you for the picture, that is very helpful. The eye does not look infected and he seems to be holding it open comfortably. The eye discharge may just be something you have to help him with. As long as he is eating, drinking, and active, I am not worried about what I see in the picture.

Oh that's so good to hear! Thanks we'll just keep grooming him ourselves and I'll look into the Benadryl, presumably human OTC Benadryl is OK?

Yes, OTC Benadryl.