Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has inner ear drum burst from infection...also tumor…

Customer Question
cat has inner ear drum...
cat has inner ear drum burst from infection...also tumor removal from neck at same time.....wont walk barely eats help
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/21/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm so sorry to hear that Rogue has an ear infection and ruptured ear drum. Is the tumor on his neck also infected? Rogue is in a great deal of pain right now, so I recommend getting him to the vet for some pain medication. Buprenorphine is a good one for cats and it is easy to give because it comes in an liquid form that can be given orally. Rogue will also need some antibiotics to treat his ear infection.

its been a week and a half dr gave us ointment for ear kept getting worse.....now an ear flush and gave two week antibiotic shot once was under for neck tumor removal

Hmm that's worrying that he has already had treatment. Sometimes there can be things in the ear canals that prevent an ear infection from healing completely, such as a tumor or a polyp. I would get his ears cleaning thoroughly again and make sure your vet gets a good luck into the ears again. Did your vet get a sample from each ear and check for bacteria and yeast under the microscope? The medication that he is treated with should kill whatever the vet found under the microscope if it is the correct treatment.

they found her ear drum burst with infection while under for tumor removal and told us ruptured ear drum no mention on tumor or polyp

Do you know if they cultured the bacteria they found in the ears? Rogue might have an infection that is resistant to the antibiotics he is on. The way to find out what bacteria he's got and what antibiotic they are susceptible to is by doing a bacterial culture. So I would ask your vet about doing that.

ill ask we have another appointment thursday im just worried.....he mentioned possibly infection moving to brain but said is rare and no way of telling unless mri which they can't do
but no seizures ever just very off balance to point where she wont really get up at all.....doesnt want to eat much....blood work and heart are fine

When she was getting up before, did she seem wobbly? That is a sign of vestibular disease, which is when their balance is thrown off from the ear infection. I am not as suspicious about a brain infection, but it's possible. Has she had any blood work done recently? There can be several causes of lethargy in an older cat, including kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and cancer, to name a few. Since there could be so many things going on, I do recommend getting her in sooner than Thursday.

they did a blood panel and we were told it was fine.....but then suggested a wider blood panel idk

I do recommend getting complete lab work done, including a chemistry profile, CBC, thyroid check, and a urinalysis. Sometimes going through anesthesia can make any underlying problem not detected on the pre-anesthetic blood work worse, specifically kidney function. You can have her kidney (and other organ) functions checked by doing the lab work I mentioned.