Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cats are allowed outside for a short period of time

Customer Question
My cats are allowed...

My cats are allowed outside for a short period of time everyday or every otherday. Yesterday one didnt come in and ended outside overnight. When she came in one side of her face is swollen. I have clindamyacin and would like to try some on her because she also has upper resp problems. Sad, but i cannot afford the vet. I would sell my soul for her if I could.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Biscut. She's about 1 1/2 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Biscut

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Biscut?

I took her in as a stray. Shes been fixed and has some shots and boosters last year.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/20/2018
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

It sounds like Biscuit might have a cat bite abscess. She's a bit young to be having a tooth abscess.

My first choice for cat bite abscesses is always plain old amoxicillin as the vast majority of these are a Pasteurella infection and highly sensitive to amoxicillin. I've never in 36 years used clindamycin for a bite wound initial treatment.

Most upper respiratory infections in cats are due to feline herpesvirus (FHV) and respond best to lysine (an amino acid). Antibiotics don't help with viral infections at all.

But the most important thing for abscesses is drainage. So if you apply warm compresses frequently to the swelling that will help it to develop drainage.

Article on cat bite abscesses with more information for you.