Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat's creatinine has lingered around 3.0 for a year. It…

My cat's creatinine has lingered...
My cat's creatinine has lingered around 3.0 for a year. It has never been higher than 3.3. She developed a UTI for which she was given 3 Convenia shots each ten days apart. After the shots, her bloodwork shows her creatinine is 7.3.
She receives 125 fluids 2x/week. She takes aluminum hydroxide with each meal, .50 budesonide daily, and .35 methamazole 2x daily for hyperthyroidism. Her phosphorus was still a little high and her T4 rose from the 2s to 4.6 this last check. The only other change made during this month of antibiotic is we've been putting the aluminum hydroxide in turkey or chicken Gerber baby food along with her renal dry. I'm concerned that the convenia has caused this spike and would like to know if it's permanent kidney damage or can her kidneys improve when this long lasting medicine is completely flushed from her system?
3/21/2018
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for reaching out for assistance today. My name is***** and I'm happy to assist with your cat today. Let me review your question and I'll be right back with some information.

It sounds like you have been taking wonderful care of your cat. When a cat's creatinine rises, it may be related to dehydration or worsening of the kidney disease. It may be beneficial to consider increasing her fluid intake to help support her kidneys while she is recovering from her UTI. This can be done in several ways. Feeding more canned food will increase her water consumption. You can also try a Drinkwell fountain, these can encourgae cats to increase their fluid intake on their own. If those options aren't working you can consider increasing the frequency of subcutaneous fluids (every day or every other day) or having her hospitalized with IV fluids for a few days to help flush her kidneys.

When you say to flush out her kidneys, are we trying to flush out the antibiotic or what? Could it be this antibiotic hurt her kidneys because my vet said she chose it because it was the least harsh choice? Her UTI was cultured as eColi and the antibiotic almost immediately improved how she felt. She gained a pound in one week, but we never checked her kidney values until after she'd already received all three shots.
The antibiotic is not likely the cause for the elevation in her creatinine. The UTI causes inflammation which can temporarily cause changes to her bloodwork. The increased fluids can help remove the byproducts of inflammation. I agree with your veterinarian, Convenia is a very good choice for cats with kidney disease.
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian