Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 14 yrs old and recently meows continually and is…

My cat is 14...

My cat is 14 yrs old and recently meows continually and is spraying regularly. He was fixed at 1yr old, but has always marked his territory, especially when new people come over. I work midnights, and the incessant meowing all day is keeping me up. I can't let him in my bedroom, as he would spray in my closet and continue to meow at my bed. I am beyond frustrated! He doesn't seem sick otherwise...what is going on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

He has sprayed all his life and it's it's mostly pink. He's an indoor cat only and has had his shots and seems perfectly fine otherwise.

3/20/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Bella today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

What do you mean when you say it is "mostly pink"?

Is he still eating and drinking normally?

Does he use a litter box for his elimination?

Is he losing weight?

His spray has always been pink..but it seems darker lately. He eats constantly and is 18 lbs and hasn't lost any weight at all. He seems otherwise healthy besides the spraying and constant meowing..

Thank you for the prompt reply.

If his urine spray is pink, that is not normal at all and is likely a sign of hematuria or blood in the urine. There are various causes for this including bacterial infections of the urinary tract, urinary tract stones, tumor or even an inflammation of the bladder with no underlying cause but that is brought on by stress. This latter condition is called feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC). His meowing continually may very likely be related to this as most of these conditions can lead to discomfort. I would definitely have him examined by your veterinarian and have a urine sample analyzed as there is definitely something going on if his urine is pink.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

Thank you for your prompt reply. After googling FIC, this does seem like the likely cause. He mostly eats wet (canned cat food) and has never been a fan of dry food. Although he has always eaten whatever I get at the grocery store. I made an appointment for him to see the Vet on the morning, and hopefully medication and a better diet will help. I'm not in the postion to pay for hundreds of dollars in tests...etc, do you think the urinalysis will be enough or what other tests might I be looking at?

If I had to pick one test above an exam and urinalysis, it would be either an xray or an ultrasound to rule out stones.

Good luck and please keep me posted as to how things progress.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz