Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has crawling skin twitchy ears. Runs like trying to get…

Cat has crawling skin...

Cat has crawling skin twitchy ears. Runs like trying to get away and then hides till he calms down is 10 1/2 years old. Feel so bad for him. Am wheening him to no grain food hoping that will help. Vet yesterday said he is healthy all blood work is good. Coat and skin are healthy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Cat's name?

Buddee. 19 pound snowshoe siamese

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddee?

He had six teeth pulled end of February but all went very well and vet yesterday said mouth and gums look wonderful

3/20/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Is Buddee 100% indoors or an in/out cat?

What do you feed him? Brands/flavors of dry food? Brand/flavors of canned food? Any treats or people food?

I have a couple of ideas about his problem and need some information to help figure it out.

Strictly indoor. Was eating Purina naturals dry and have switched to pure balance grain free wild and free dry. Friskies gravy sensations and friskies pate canned. Switched to Rachel Ray nutrition no grain moist. Is this hyperesthesia? So worried even tho vet says he is fine

I don't consider "hyperesthesia" a real disease. Insanely itchy, jumpy cats have either fleas or food allergy IMHO.

The most common food allergen by far is fish. Is he eating any food that contains any kind of fish? Please check ingredient lists, not the marketing slogans on the front of the package. And yes, tuna and salmon are fish (some people think they are not)

If he had fleas, I'd think they would have been noted in the recent exam. But please do inspect his fur closely for fleas themselves or flea "dirt" which is the feces.

I see endless skin and gastrointestinal problems from those Rachel Ray foods. And I also see a lot of trouble from the faddish grain-free diets.

Vet checked yesterdaycoat is clean and skin is clear no tuna salmon or fish in dry but yes in.moist

Good. So I think at this point we should assume food allergy and make sure he is not eating ANY foods with fish in them.

Fish OIL by the way is fine as an ingredient. It's the protein and not the fats that cause the allergy.

By any chance are you in the south or do you live where if freezes in the winter?

There is one other obscure thing that could be contributing to this. Sometimes we get critters living in our attics and walls that have a variety of parasitic mites that will cause insane itchiness if they get on us or our pets. They are not cat parasites, but just cause trouble in passing.

You can kill off bugs like that in the home easily with monthly use of Siphotrol Plus II Premise Spray by VetKem, probably the best indoor flea spray on the market. In this case it's not fleas we are going after but mites like the tropical rat mite (had a client with this exact problem in his home several years ago here in SoCal).

Southeast Minnesota. Rochester area yes freezes but do have a humidifier in house. Just so worried for him. As his back skin crawls his ears start to twitch frantically then he licks his paws and run and hides. Just breaks my heart

He's got the creepy crawlies from something. Please do spray your home - there is no reason to fear the spray. And it can work miracles if what you have is microscopic mites.

Oh one other thing that this probably is NOT but it's worth having your vet check: impacted anal sacs. They can cause very odd behavior in cats.

It's not going to be fleas - not this time of year in MN.

How long has this been going on?

Our home gets sprayed professionally 4 times a year and I am ocd clean. I don't see the as the problem.

Hmmmm, mites are very susceptible to pesticides so I have to agree.

Has there been much static electricity in the air recently? When our humidity gets really low here i get the crawlies.

Defintely want to keep using the humidifier.

And discontinue all fish. When i accidentally fed my own cat fish years ago, he was running and darting around and acting like somebody was poking at him. he was really tormented. I was sure it was fleas (here in SoCal) but spraying didn't help. And then i found the little scabby bumps and red areas from his obsessive licking and chewing and checked the food label and BINGO. It did take weeks for all the itching to totally subside but the worst cleared up within a week or so when I tossed the stuff with fish.

Good luck. This one is not glaringly obvious, but I think we have it mostly figured out.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need further clarification.

Thank you I will cut all fish product

Sounds like a plan!

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian