Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My boy cat is about 1 year old. I know cancer is fatal, but…

My boy cat is about...
My boy cat is about 1 year old. I know cancer is fatal, but can anything else be treatable?
3/20/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Yes, absolutely. Being young the most likely cause is feline asthma. This is completely treatable or at least controllable. Some cats do great with an inhaler when needed (like people) and others do better on regular medication (it is daunting to think about giving a cat long-term medication but many of these medications can be compounded into a transdermal formulation you can even rub on the inside of his ear to absorb through his skin and make treating him less stressful). Pneumonia is also easily treatable (some cats do get aspiration pneumonia - they vomited and inhaled at the same time). Fungal disease is treatable. So, being so young I would think it most likely he has something that CAN be treated.

It is highly unlikely to be cancer unless he is positive for feline leukemia virus and then, this is not good. Then, these guys usually do develop fluid around the lungs or tumors in the chest by the age of 2. So sad. Not much we can do.

Another not good problem is Feline infectious peritonitis. This is rare, but it is not treatable and tough to diagnose. However, the starting point is radiographs (X-rays). If he has fluid in his chest or masses that suggest tumors then testing him for feline leukemia virus is important. If he was tested as a kitten and vaccinated against this since then, then this is likely not the cause.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Let me know if you have any further questions. If not, keep me posted.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nafisi. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't believe it! You're texting me how Nafisi is! You're awesome. Actually, he's doing great. My veterinarian had suggested a while ago to give him hairball medicine, which I gave him yesterday. He's getting the antibiotic still, every 72 hours, and he is nowhere near exhibiting symptoms like he was. I felt felt immeasurably better when you said what you did, because I was in a fearful place. Nafisi is a very special spiritual cat, and I feel very strongly for him. Ithank you from the bottom of my heart. I will send you news if I may.

I am so happy to hear he is stable at this time. Please keep me posted. Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for everything you do. It is most incredible to be in touch.
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified