Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's throwing up maybe once a week, should I take her to…

She's throwing up maybe...

She's throwing up maybe once a week, should I take her to see the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of, just the regular food I feed both my girls

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Sugar and she's 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sugar?

Well she was a stray I brought in about 6 months ago, she gogglbes her food like she's not going to get anything to eat again

3/20/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sugar today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Are her stools normal in appearance?

Is she maintaining a normal weight?

Is she eating dry food or wet food?

I'm not sure if you got what I just said so I'm going to repeat it she eats Fancy Feast wet and Friskies dry she has maintained a normal weight and as far as I can tell her stools are normal formed
She goes right back to eating normally and behaves normally after she throws up , but it is still concerning

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Vomiting, even intermittently, is not normal and I would have her evaluated by your vet.

Some cats vomit simply because they eat too fast. The key with those cats is to slow them down. They actually make a bowl called a Brake-fast® bowl that has raised pegs in it of which they have to eat around. (It looks like a big lego).(Go to brake-fast.net for more info) I have used one with my cat and it helps a little. You can make your own device as well by placing something in the center of the bowl that takes up room in it. For instance, depending on the size of the bowl, you could try something like a tennis ball or golf ball and then the food goes around it. This way they have to pick underneath and around the edges of the ball to get to the food. Make sure the object you place in there is large enough that they can't swallow it and make sure she is not so frustrated by it that she doesn't eat or just goes to the other cat's bowls.

For some cats, it has nothing to do with how fast they eat, but that once the food in their stomach, their stomach doesn't empty fast enough and it makes them nauseous. A trial of a medication like Metoclopramide (Reglan®) can be beneficial to see if it helps with gastric motility.

Food allergy is another possibility leading to a gastritis or even inflammatory bowel disease (inflammation of the intestines). This could cause intermittent vomiting as you describe. Perhaps a food trial with a limited antigen food or a homecooked diet may be in order to rule that out. Of course, there could be other metabolic problems from internal organ disorders, but I doubt they would be going on so long without other signs showing up as well. Some of these cats ultimately end up with a gastric biopsy to diagnose definitively.

This is a common and frustrating problem in cats. We start with the easy to rule out things first and then decide how aggressive we need to be to get to the diagnosis based on how severely they are affected.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
petdrz