Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

MY MALE HIMALAYAN HAD BEAUTIFUL FULL HAIR IN THE PAST MONTH…

MY MALE HIMALAYAN HAD BEAUTIFUL...
MY MALE HIMALAYAN HAD BEAUTIFUL FULL HAIR IN THE PAST MONTH I HAVE NOTICED THAT HIS HAIR ON HIS BACK LEGS ARE BARE AND HE HAS PATCHES OF HAIR THAT HAVE THE HAIR MISSING HIS HAIR HAS THINNED OUT VERY NOTICABLER? WHAT DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE TO LOSE HAIR SO QUICKLY?
3/20/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Have you seen him scooting his rear end on the carpet?

Has he become constipated or had noticeably hard stool recently?

Is he 100% indoors or an in/out cat?

NO I HAVE NOT SEEN HIM SCOOTING HIS REAR END! HE HAS GONE OUTSIDE BUT HASN'T SINCE WINTER HIT!!! I SEE HIM ITCHING AND BITING HIMSELF! I HAVE TREATED HIM FOR FLEAS? SO I DON'T KNOW WHY HE WOULD ITCH AND NIBBLE ON HIMSELF?

What flea control product(s) are you using on him and when have you used them? Monthly?

PETACTION PLUS I JUST STARTED THIS A FEW WEEKS AGO BUT MY CAT STILL ITCHES AND LICKS HIMSELF ALL THE TIME! I HAVE A FLEA COMB AND I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY FLEAS? THE FLEAS ARE DEAD OUTSIDE AND HE DOES NOT GO OUT MUCH IN THE WINTER!!

Fleas can survive very well inside your nice warm house in the winter.

I'll be back after looking up your flea product so I can evaluate it.

Pet Action Plus should be an excellent product. It is a generic version of Frontline Plus. In order to make sure you do not have a population of fleas surviving over the winter in your home you should be sure to use it once a month for at least 3 months.

Another possibility is that he is being bothered by impacted anal sacs. These are the two little glands at either side of his anal opening. Sometimes the nasty liquid they produce gets stuck in there and the buildup can make them very uncomfortable around their rear. In order to determine whether this is going on you will need to take him to your vet to be checked. They can usually take care of it in the exam room, though sometimes they have to sedate to do a good job.

If untreated, impacted anal sacs can abscess and rupture and that's a lot more expensive to deal with.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need any clarification.

When you are through, please rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Romio. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc