Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She just pooped on carpet and has blood in stool. She is 18…

She just pooped on...

She just pooped on carpet and has blood in stool. She is 18 and also has a reoccurring cyst on her side that oozes clear fluid, shrinks and then comes back

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Honey bun

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

3 years ago she went to vet for urinary tract infection Dr. called and told me she was in acute liver and kidney failure and I should put her down immediately haven't been to the vet since

3/20/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about your cat honey bun. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
Okay, I will say that this is one of the most amazing Stories I have heard in a while. How unbelievable that your veterinarian diagnosed her with acute liver and kidney failure 3 years ago and she is still with us!! What an amazing Kitty! So there are a number of things that can cause blood in the stool. A mild colitis which is just inflammation of the colon or irritation of the colon can cause some blood to be present on the stool. Colitis can be caused by stress or certainly can be caused by other diseases that might be present. Obviously if she does have some liver and kidney issues that are progressing, especially because she is 18 years old, she could present with symptoms of inappropriate elimination, blood in stool, excessive drinking and urinating Etc. If she is otherwise acting fairly normal then I would just monitor her symptoms for now. Often times if it was just a mild amount of blood in the stool caused by colitis it will resolve on its own. If there is a bigger problem and the liver and kidney issues are progressing or there is a new problem then this may potentially get worse.
I would just take it one day at a time with her. If the blood in the stool does not seem to be or she develops diarrhea than there are things that we can Implement to help with a diarrhea if there is blood in the stool because the stool is really hard and it is causing irritation of the colon then there are also medications that we can use to help soften the stool a little bit some cats will poop out of the box because they associate going in the litter box with pain especially if they are struggling with constipation. Do you think that she is mildly constipated or struggling to pass stool at times?
blood in the stool does not seem to be improving or...
I apologize for that long run on sentence. For some reason my periods didn't show up in my sentences!! You get the idea
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she doesn't seem to be constipate. She does drink a lot of water and is usually very good at using the litter box. She is not stressed life is normal except she is eating a lot of dairy products-very unusual as she does not normally eat people food. I will watch carefully. Thank you
Thank you for that information. Obviously you are doing a great job with her as she is 18 years old already! It is good that she is not constipated as that is a very common problem in older cats. Giving her dairy products could certainly cause some irritation in her colon and you may want to decrease the amount you are giving her. It is also great that she is not stressed. Obviously you realize that there could be some other liver or kidney issues and it's up to you as to how you want to pursue that. It sounds like she has a pretty good quality of life. I hope this information helps you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week, so please keep me posted and feel free to send me a message if you have additional questions or concerns. Sincerely ***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian