Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 11 months old. He was fixed and had rabies shot on…

My cat is 11...

My cat is 11 months old. He was fixed and had rabies shot on March 2nd. a few days later there were worms in vomit. I went and got deworm medicine and no worms but has thrown up at least once every week since. What do I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No I feed cruncy food and at 6:00 in morning I give some canned food since I got him. I have 2 4month old cats that have been fine and have the same routine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

PawPaw

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about PawPaw?

I don't think so. I just wonder if he has delicate stomach?

3/20/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thanks

Chronic intermittent vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, internal organ failure, hyperthyroidism, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

I understand that this seemed to start after PawPaw's neuter. That may be coincidental, or it may be that he suffered some acid reflux while anesthetized (very common as the gastroesophageal sphincter relaxes under anesthesia) which led to some mild esophageal and sphincter burns and swelling, which predisposes to chronic reflux and sometimes secondary vomiting. It becomes a vicious cycle where the more they vomit the worse their reflux, which predisposes to more vomiting. This is more likely to happen in cats with a food allergy/sensitivity or inflammatory bowel disease that already have some underlying inflammation.

I would think that he probably had a sensitive stomach to start. Although his housemates seem fine and the food you are feeding is likely a good diet, it might not be the right diet for him.

For now you can try giving him an acid reducer to decrease reflux and further esophageal burns and see if that helps. You can try either:

1)Pepcid ac (famotodine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pound cat every 12 to 24 hour

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pound cat every 24 hours.

Either one of these can be used long term if needed.

You could also try feeding a canned only sensitive diet such as Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN. If you've tried these sensitive stomach diets then perhaps a hypoallergenic diet such as Hills z/d or Royal Canin Duck and Green Pea.

If he continues to vomit then I would check a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and a heartworm test, as vomiting is strangely one of the most common signs of heartworm disease in cats. I would also check to make sure a specific blood test for pancreatitis has been done, a fel spec PL (feline specific pancreatic lipase).

If those tests have been done or are done and come back normal the next step is an abdominal ultrasound and/or either exploratory surgery or endoscopy to gather biopsies of his gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or cancer.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thank you very much and I will try this.

My pleasure, glad to help.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hi Aundrea Ivey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara