Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has a super high blood cell count and has head tilt and…

He has a super...

He has a super high white blood cell count and has head tilt and has a very wobbly walk. He's also sneezing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Nikus, between 14 and 15...maybe?

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Nikus?

14 or 15 - not 100% sure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nikus?

He has two very bad teeth extracted. Right before the second tooth was extracted, he would fall over, like a fish would flop, get right back up and do it again. They put him on kitty morphine (due to the bad tooth) so he was comfortable until he went in for the extraction. They said that the tooth caused a hole in his gum line to his sinus. That was in November. He's now starting to get wobbly again.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach video of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not at home with him to do this. He also diarrhea. He had the diarrhea prior to being put on antibiotics and continues to have it. The vet gave him some probiotic powder to use on his food. He's wobbly when walking, when he shakes his head he falls over but catches his balance. He has a left head tilt. So however you picture that is how it looks. :) He was fine after the second tooth extraction in November but now the wobbliness gradually came back and has been about the same since Saturday. I've already spent over $2,000 on this cat with the blood work, extractions, special tests, etc. I can't afford much more.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His white blood cell count was super high - 33 (I think). Been on antibiotics since Saturday.

I truly need to see what you're seeing to be able to most accurately assist you, a video would be best.

What antibiotics are being given currently?

Did the heat tilt and wobbling begin before or after antibiotics?

Are the eyes still or do they make rhythmic motions such as left-right, up-down or turning like a knob?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They're still. Before the antibiotics. Zeniquin. She checked his reflexes and everything was fine. He shakes his head a lot. he checked for an ear infection and didn't see anything.

When did he last have skull x-rays performed?

Has he had a MRI/CT at any point since the onset of the wobbling?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When he had his first tooth pulled he had an x-ray but that was for the tooth so I'm not sure if they got the skull as well. No, MRI or CT. How much do those usually cost?

The wobbling you're seeing could be due to a great many things including polyps in the inner ear, brain lesion or brain tumor, etc. Additional diagnostics might help here such as full skull x-rays. MRI/CT depends on where you're located but most start around the $800-$1200 range.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the unknown infection and the wobbling are probably two different things?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would a polyp be diagnosed? Would it cause the wobbling to come and go?

It's not typical for us to seeing wobbling from an oral infection. Typically with balance issues, we see the inner ear being the cause and sometimes the brain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you. They're not sure where the infection really is, just that there is an incredible amount of infection and/or inflammation. He had quite a fever too. The fever comes and goes so he's really fighting something off. It seems like the ear since he shakes his head a lot.

You're welcome. If there are additional questions I can answer for you, just let me know.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse