Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have an almost 4 year old cat that I "adopted" from my…

I have an almost...

I have an almost 4 year old cat that I "adopted" from my granddaughter. She has started to bite me on an almost daily basis - no rhyme or reason. We can be sitting on the sofa, quietly, then suddenly she chomps on me and runs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Cat's name is ***** ***** he'll be 4 in July.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cat?

Almost 4. My granddaughter got him as a new kitten, but when she went away to college her mom had to find a new home for him. So I volunteered.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cat?

He is declawed - totally an indoor cat. Also, I moved from a house to a small apartment last November. So he has been moved around quite a bit.

3/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

Aggression like this is not uncommon with cats, but with the right approach you should be able to get Luke under control, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

A few years back I experienced just this sort of situation { and much worse } when I picked up an injured young cat from the streets of The Philippines, as he recovered and got stronger he attacked me and my wife at every turn. My solution was to buy a large pump up water pistol with a very strong water jet and squirt our cat the moment it tried to attack or showed aggression in any shape or form. I always kept the water pistol handy and Peter { my cat } stopped this unwanted behaviour in about a week. Now as he is getting older he is a much more docile cat and affectionate house cat and the apple of my wife's eye, but if he is showing signs of any unwanted behaviour all I have to do is to show him the water pistol and he backs right down and behaves.

In your case, you just have to show Luke that you will not tolerate this behaviour without causing him or any physical harm and of course in a way where the cat cannot do further damage to yourself. Cats have no sense of cause and effect so you have to discipline him at once right in the act of his aggression in a way that he cannot avoid, and in a way which will stop him in his tracks.

The water pistol { a very powerful one } is well worth a try, it worked for me ...

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott