Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Can a wild small Texas lizard form an attachment to a person…

Customer Question
Can a wild small...

Can a wild small Texas lizard form an attachment to a person and remember that person the next season?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the lizard?

My granddaughter captured a small Texas Lizzie’s a few years ago for the summer and released it at the end of summer. The following summer the same lizard returned and running right to my Granddaughter. Do lizards have memories?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the lizard seem to hurt?

The Lizzie’s isn’t hurt. He just remembered my Granddaughter the next summer

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the lizard's name and age?

Lizzie I’m not sure if the age we just captured him during the summertime.I was interested if lizards have memories.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the lizard?

My Granddaughter is dying of cancer and I send her information daily to make her smile. So I was going to send her information on lizards in the morning.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
All the information I send to my Granddaughter is factual that’s what makes it special. It was so funny to see the lizard recognize her the f following summer. We knew. I was Lizzie not only because she ran to her but because of her markings.
3/20/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. You have asked a very good one. In a situation like this, that specific lizard could have been trained to associate your granddaughter with food and attention. It could have put together her physical size / appearance with the care and food that it liked. With your granddaughter, I would tell her that this specific lizard did remember her and the care that it got from her. This can happen with wild animals that are around people and they get positive reinforcements from their interactions with those individuals.

Do the grill type lizzards have memories that you have knowledge of? She is 16 and very smart so I make every attempt to be factual with her..
I just paid $25.00 to speak with you. Now they want $28.00
Is that it?

I'm very sorry for my delay as I got pulled away by a few cases at work. That wasn't my intention when I initially picked up your question. I can't say that I have factual knowledge of that specific species, but birds, mammals and reptiles do have the ability to be trained to respond to stimuli in a repetitive manner. Specifically if they get food and positive things from a certain individual, then can associate this with further rewards in the future.

I'm sorry for the phone call prompt as that was the system and not myself. I want to help as much as I possibly can so let me know what questions I can address that I've not hit on yet. I would say that lizards have memories, but does this specific one remember her exactly? Probably not. It would most likely react to an individual with her size in a similar manner.