Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 18 and is having some problem to poo how can I…

Customer Question
My cat is 18...

My cat is 18 and is having some problem to poo how can I help and he is not eating as he has a sore mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Jasper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?

Just his mouth I have taken him to the vet 3 time to fix it first time they removed his tooth and the second time they thought they left a fragment in there so he had to go under again and the third time they basically didn’t do anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/20/2018
Cat Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back soon with a reply.

Sounds like Jasper has been through alot! Make sure he is on a good pain medicine from your vet as his mouth sounds painful. Water down his food into a slurry so he doesn't have to chew much. If he prefers dry food let it soak in some water or low sodium chicken broth before you give it to him. As far as the trouble defecating, I really like Miralax...it's a powder you buy at the drugstore. I'd sprinkle 1/8-1/4 tsp on each meal to help soften stool. It's a titration, so if he get diarrhea then back it off. If he doesn't poop for several days then he may need an enema at your vet.

Keep me updated on how Jasper is doing.

Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.