Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Well i jist found some dark spots on his tongue that have…

Well i jist found...

Well i jist found some dark spots on his tongue that have not been there before. Also he has been itching and creating scab all over his body

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Rascal AND 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Rascal?

5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rascal?

He has been plucking his fur out and creating scab all over

3/20/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Can you post a photo here of his tongue and the mysterious dark spots for me?

After that we can address the skin problem.

Oh that's just pigment spots. I call them freckles. He has some pigment on the roof of his mouth, too. Not to worry.

Now as to the overgrooming and bumps - Does he have any particular places where his itching and scabs are worse? Lower back? Head/neck?

Is he 100% indoors or an in/out cat?

What part of the US are you in?

Do you feed him any cat food, treats, or people food containing fish? Check the ingredient lists of his food packaging (tiny fine print on the back).

He is 100% indoors. Back of head back by his tail. Down his spine. We live in Florida. He eats Rachael Rays indoor cat formula. No table food. Treats are limited and no fish.

Can you tell me which of these products it is?

It's the indoor cat formula and it does have salmon in it

Oh okay, well that is in fact fish.

Fish allergy is the most common food allergy in cats. It typically causes severe generalized itching or might also cause problems primarily on the head/neck. The cat licks and chews and scratches and gets lots of scabby bumps. The only treatment is to remove all fish from the diet immediately and permanently.

If you want to use Rachel Ray, that chicken and brown rice formula would be fine. I checked and it has no fish.

I see a lot of this and am always able to straighten my patients out as long as the owners are diligent about the food. Some patients will need short-term prednisolone for severe itching.

Thank you very much. I appreciate ypur help.

YVW, happy to help. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further clarification.

When you are all through, please rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian