Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been throwing up pretty much non stop since

My cat has been...

My cat has been throwing up pretty much non stop since Saturday. She’s always had a sensitive stomach but I’m really starting to get worried. I don’t have any access to vet, my husband has our car and doesn’t get home until like midnight. Is there anything I can do for now to maybe help her out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Nothing that I know of. She is an indoor/outdoor cat so she does catch mice and things. We’ve tried keeping her in, but she was a stray when we found her so she was going crazy trying to get outside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Hi sorry I had to pick my son up. She’s 10 years old, I did check her gums and they are bright pink. I tried taking her food away last night, my other cat wasn’t happy, but as soon as I put it back this morning she ate and threw right back up. I leave the dry food out for them and give them wet food 2x a day.

Is anyone there???
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any other symptoms?

No other symptoms, no diarrhea or anything,maybe a little over affectionate if that’s a thing. Ate some dinner probably around like 6, I haven’t found any vomit anywhere. She’s been sleeping since then. Yesterday and earlier it was maybe 10 minutes after eating and she was throwing it up
She has no other preexisting conditions, she is getting older so she doesn’t get around as well as she used to. She is up to date on her shots

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. If she ate and has not vomited that is good. If she vomits again this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up in the morning with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I will do all of those things. Have a good night

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
She is doing much better thank you. I took her food away for about 10 hours and gave her the Pepcid, when I put her food back I actually put it on a flat dish so she couldn’t gulp a lot of it down at once. She vomited maybe 1x after that but she is doing much much better. Thank you again for your advice!!

Fantastic!

Thank you for the update. :)

Dr. Peter