Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I recently fostered a cat she has some scab below her ears…

Customer Question
I recently fostered a...

I recently fostered a cat she has some scab below her ears and hair loss the back legs have no fur (the front legs are fine)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Pishi, she is about 10-11 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

She also has a discharge from her eyes and black gums, this isn't normal right!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Im really scared.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/19/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your questions about Pishi.

I'm sorry she's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

To start with, I want to let you know that in some cases it's totally normal for a cat to have black colored gums. It can be a normal skin pigment there. There should NOT, however, be draining sores, bleeding, or a bad smell.

The most common reason for a young, new kitten like Pishi to have the skin problems you're describing is flea allergy dermatitis. Please note this is different from having fleas; it's an allergy to flea saliva. Sometimes it's serious enough to require antibiotics for treatment, but the cornerstone of therapy is providing safe and effective flea control as your vet prescribes. Another option would be to use Frontline Plus for Cats (available over-the-counter) every month for at least three months. Be careful when choosing an over-the-counter flea product for a cat, though. Some are ineffective, and others are downright unsafe to use.

Other possibilities for the skin issues include:

• mites
  • ringworm (which isn't a ring and isn't a worm; it's a fungal skin infection)
  • allergies (which would be rare in a cat this young)

What is your question for me today, please?

In the meantime, I want to let you know that I understand how alarming these symptoms can be, especially when the kitten is young and new to you. You can rest assured that nothing you've described here sounds like a particularly serious problem. I hope that is reassuring to you.

Please let me know what your question is today and I'll do my best to help.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian