Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is constantly licking herself. Is this a sign of

She is constantly licking...

She is constantly licking herself. Is this a sign of something>

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

May. She is almost 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

May

3/19/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

To help you figure out what the problem is, I will need to ask a few questions.

What part of the US are you located in?

Is she 100% indoors or an in/out cat?

Do you have any dogs or other cats in the home?

How long has she been licking excessively?

Is she licking any specific places on her body more than others?

Texas
in/out
no other pets
several days--everyday more
her back, but other places
I would prefer to chat. I have trouble hearing over the phone

Not to worry, I prefer the chat window, too.

What flea control product(s) do you use on her?

We use PetArmor Plus for cats

Thanks. Let me go look that up and then I can comment.

In the meantime, are you at home so you can run your fingers through her itchy spots to check for any scabby red bumps?

It is a generic version of Frontline with added methoprene so it is an excellent product. But there is one drawback and that it doesn't kill fleas quite as fast as Advantage II, so if a cat is allergic to flea bites, they do have time to bite before the pesticide kicks in.

The only products I recommend for flea control in allergic kitties, therefore, are Advantage II (OTC) and Advantage Multi (Rx).

Are you using the PetArmor religiously every month with no missed periods?

i will do that.
We have been using the Pet Armor for 4months and havent skipped any months. Before that we used Advantage..

I would switch back to Advantage II. I believe there is an excellent generic version of it also, maybe at Petco? Just be sure to read the ACTIVE INGREDIENTS panel on the package to make sure everything matches 100%.

And in case it isn't flea allergy, let's look at the very real possibility of food allergy. Does she consume any cat foods or treats or people food containing fish of any kind (except for fish OIL which is fine)? Check the INGREDIENT LIST.

She does eat a wet food that sometimes has fish in it.
i can work on that, You dont think it is urinary tract? I have heard that is common. We are new to this cat thing. I have always been a dog person for the first 69 years of my life. Then came May......

Constant licking is not a symptom of a urinary problem unless they are licking at the urethra. But fish also causes lots of urinary problems so no more fish.

So those are the two main concerns - flea bite allergy - should resolve with monthly use of Advantage II. And food allergy, which should resolve with removing all fish from her diet.

Don't expect instant results. Especially with food allergy - if they have the scabby bumps those can take weeks to heal.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need further clarification.

When you are through, please remember to rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc