Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 15 year old cat,s ear was hurt and swelled. When the

My 15 year old...

My 15 year old cat,s ear was hurt and swelled. When the swelling went down...now She is bleeding bright red blood from her ear and she's shaking her head blood is flying everywhere onto my walls etc. I can see the blood everywhere inside her ear and outside...she's suffering. Is there anyway you could PLEASE help my baby? She's hemorrhaging ...I'm on a fixed income...could I make payments. But she needs help now, she's bleeding to death...please?!?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

I'm sorry... Im so upset I can't think at this moment of anything else at this time except both cat are due for their yearly shot.

3/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It would be very uncommon for a cat to bleed out from an ear injury, though ears can bleed PROFUSELY since they are so vascular. The fact that she's shaking her head is a good sign that she is not so profoundly lethargic that she's losing blood rapidly.

I would recommend looking in to financial aid options and also financing. Try starting with these organizations:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

In the meanwhile, clean the ear with water and see if you can find the original cause of injury. If so, you can pack this area with cornstarch to try to keep the area from bleeding. You can also trim a sock and create a snood to keep her from shaking her head effectively. It should look like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/df/ea/96/dfea962fd844e3667e0bc0e5ffeec21c.jpg to cover the ears fully. You may need some tape (like Elasticon available at Walmart or Walgreens in the pharmacy section) to help secure the sock snood down.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not stop the bleeding! She's been bleeding for two weeks. I thought it would clot and stop. I cannot get the bleeding to stop!!!
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse