Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I had my dog to the vet on Feb 27 for loose stools. She put…

I had my dog...

I had my dog to the vet on Feb 27 for loose stools. She put him on a probiotic and Gi antibiotic. The first day he was back to normal. Finished the medicine the next Tuesday. Everything was still ok. Then Friday I came home to the same issue called the vet they said he may have to be on a daily probiotic and gave me laqtoquil. It seemed like it was getting better but came back a few days later. They suggested changing his food so I put him on taste of the Wild with venicine and have been gradually giving this to him with his old food for about a week and was slowly getting back to normal. I did just over the weekend add a little taste of the wild can food to it because he doesn't like just dry food. So this morning I took him out and his stool was completely watery ( first time it has been that way since this has started)but hasn't gone again since and is acting completely normal. I was wondering if it could be a reaction to the can food. Or what I should do next. No vomiting acting normaly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?

No I think I covered it all

3/19/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Jack has a chronic history of loose stools that appears to be progressing to diarrhea despite treatment with antibiotics, probiotics, and a diet change. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Can you please tell me Jack's age (estimated is fine) and if the veterinarian performed any diagnostic tests like a fecal exam or blood work? That will help me formulate an approach to Jack's care. thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is 4 years old. And yes they did a fecal test. It came back clear no paracites.

Good. Glad to hear the parasite check was negative. Some parasites (i.e. giardia) do not always show positive on a one-time check, so it might be worth rechecking it in 2-3 weeks just to be sure. Assuming there are no parasites, the differentials for chronic diarrhea are a food intolerance / allergy, sudden change of diet, foreign body, and internal organ disease such as inflammatory bowel disease, pancreas disease, or atypical Addison's disease. At this point, the recommendation to help support the intestines is to feed a low fat diet such as boiled chicken or white rice in small amounts and to give supportive care with over-the-counter remedies. A probiotic is a good idea. Other over-the-counter options should include kaopectate solution. Adding fiber to the diet will help to bulk the stool as well and that can help resolve the diarrhea. Fiber options may consist of things like canned pumpkin or Metamucil.

One of the concerns we have with diarrhea is the risk of dehydration, so I am going to give you two methods to check the hydration status. The first is to feel the gums. They should normally feel wet and slippery. If they feel dry or sticky then that indicates dehydration. This test only works if Jackis not panting. The other test is called the "skin tent" test. This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin until you feel resistance. Let go of the skin and count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. If it takes longer than that then that indicates dehydration as well. If you assess there to be dehydration then Jack should be treated by your veterinarian right away.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. I am going to give that a try. If it's not better tomorrow i will take him back to the vet

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian