Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 8 year old Siamese whom poop smells sick. He was on…

Customer Question
I have a 8...

I have a 8 year old Siamese whom poop smells sick. He was on antibiotic for seven day no change. he is losing wieght

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Siamese's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?

He eats but no gain weight just losing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Sam is losing weight and has foul smelling feces. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Is Sam having diarrhea or episodes of vomiting? Did your veterinarian perform any blood tests or fecal exam to rule out a parasite?

he is having both symptoms and no lab where done

Thank you for that information. There are many causes for vomiting and diarrhea, but intestinal parasites, sudden food change, and internal organ disease are the most common. Neoplasia should also be considered as intestinal lymphoma is a relatively common cause of upset stomach in older cats. A fecal exam should be performed followed by a complete blood panel that looks at liver, kidney, thyroid, and pancreas health. If those parameters are normal, then a biopsy of the intestines will likely be considered to differentiate between inflammatory bowel disease and neoplasia.

Hello

One of the concerns we have with diarrhea and vomiting is the risk of dehydration, so I am going to give you two methods to check the hydration status. The first is to feel the gums. They should normally feel wet and slippery. If they feel dry or sticky then that indicates dehydration. The other test is called the "skin tent" test. This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin until you feel resistance. Let go of the skin and count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. If it takes longer than that then that indicates dehydration as well.

There are a few over-the-counter treatment remedies you have available. The first for nausea is to give Pepcid AC. The dose for a cat is 2.5 mg (i.e. 1/4 tablet) given every 12 hours as needed. A low fat diet should also be considered. This is challenging to do with an over-the-counter approach because cats are sensitive to tight dietary parameters. However, your veterinarian will have a low fat food to offer. Kaopectate is an over-the-counter product you can give to resolve the diarrhea. Sam should see a veterinarian for the diagnostic tests, but also definitely if you observe signs of dehydration or if the vomiting or diarrhea continues despite treatment.

He passed both

Does that help to answer your question?

Great! As long as he stays hydrated then this does not qualify as an emergency.

Will his poop smell return to normal

The smell correlates with the digestive disturbance in the intestines. It will resolve once the underlying cause has been addressed. It seems that an antibiotic was unable to resolve any sort of presumed bacterial overgrowth, so the best decision would be to get some answers as to the underlying issue. Once that gets fixed then the stool and the smell of the stool should return to normal.

Does that help?

We will see

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you right now?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

Just checking in. How is Sam doing?

Still has very smelly poop

Have you been using the kaopectate and Pepcid AC? Have you scheduled a visit to the veterinarian to perform some diagnostic tests that we talked about?

Just checking in again. How is Sam doing?