Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She hasn't been eating and has lost wieght. She will be 10…

Customer Question
She hasn't been eating...

She hasn't been eating and has lost wieght

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

She will be 10 in October her name is*****: How old is Sonia?

10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sonia?

She normaly would throw up every couple days but she hasn't for awhle

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/19/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your girl Sonia has a history of vomiting, and is now losing weight and eating poorly.

Repeated episodes of vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, internal organ failure, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because she is losing weight that indicates a significant, chronic disease and an examination and some testing is needed as soon as possible.

Cats tend to have a higher incidence of kidney failure as they age. That can lead to nausea, vomiting, and gastrointestinal ulcers, a loss of appetite and weight loss. So we definitely want to look for that, but given that she has been sick long enough to lose weight we do want to make sure there isn't more than one thing happening. Cats that don't eat well for a period of time can get into trouble with hepatic lipidosis. This is fatty liver disease caused by overwhelming the liver with fats being broken down for energy to live when they don't eat such that it cannot perform normal functions. This is a secondary disease, but it can be deadly and needs to be aggressively managed.

I would recommend a complete blood count and biochemistry profile with a T-4 (thyroid hormone level) as well as a urinalysis to start.

If those look fine then I recommend a specific blood test for pancreatitis, a fel spec PL (feline specific pancreatic lipase).

If those tests are done and come back normal the next step is an abdominal ultrasound and/or either exploratory surgery or endoscopy to gather biopsies of her gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or cancer.

In the meantime you can try giving her an acid reducer to see if that helps. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotodine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pound cat every 12 to 24 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pound cat every 24 hours.

These are very safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You might also try feeding a homemade bland diet to see if that helps. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer, more palatable and easier to eat and swallow.

But she really needs to see her veterinarian as soon as possible for an exam and testing.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****