Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has recently came back from her dental cleaning and…

Customer Question
Hi, my cat has...

Hi, my cat has recently came back from her dental cleaning and extractions. For the first week, she was acting perfectly fine aside from being a little annoyed and in pain in her mouth due to the stiches. Second week, I put an E-collar on her cause she started scratching her gums, at that time, our apartment was under construction and after a day at work, I came home realizing that she was hiding underneath the bed and refused to get out. Now, she hides 24/7. She eats but doesn't go to the her litterbox until I urge her to (but her urination and stool are normal). She also growls whenever she jumps down from a higher surface. This has been her life for the past three weeks. I've brought her to the vet a week ago, and did X-rays, blood panel and feces tests, but the doctor said there's nothing out of the ordinary other than a mild inflammation and some fluids in her tummy, and wasn't really concerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She's 6y/o and was a stray cat. She used to be timid, but not like this. She's a very curious cat, but nowadays nothing seems to interest her

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/19/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your cat hasn't been herself lately. I think there are two things (and possibly both) going on. One is that she might still have a stitch from her dental cleaning that is not dissolving and causing her pain. Being a stray cat that went through a day at the vet's as well as the construction in your home, she might be too stressed to come out from under the bed. To relax her, I would get a Feliway diffuser that plugs into the wall and releases calming feline pheromones. You can also try a calming collar at the same time. There is one called Nurture Calm that works pretty well. You can buy it online for about $15. The easiest way to determine whether or not she is in pain is by giving her pain medication. I would ask your vet about buprenorphine, which comes as a liquid that can be given orally.

Normally when would the stitches dissolve? I was worried that there would be some very serious physical health issue, especially with her growling, but could it just be that she's traumatized by the experience at the vet and the construction that has put her in this stage? Thanks for your recommendation, I will start trying out these methods that might calm her down a bit.

Time to dissolve depends on what type of suture your vet used, so I would check with them.

Thank you, ***** ***** check with the vet and try out pheromones treatment.

You're welcome. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel