Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My dog has a red growth between his foot pads on his foot.

My dog has a...

My dog has a red growth between his foot pads on his foot. it's soft and red and seems to be getting bigger. My vet saw it a few months ago and said not to worry about it, but it seems to be getter bigger and my dog is limping. It doesn't seem to hurt her when you touch it, but she won't put her weight on it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No, she recently had her bloodwork done and yearly exam and all was good. She's 13 so she's getting older. I took her to the vet a few months ago because she ran after my cat and then started limping. That's when I first saw this growth. The vet said they didn't know what it was but didn't think this was the cause of the limping.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ate you still there?

I am sorry to hear about your pup having a painful, swollen, red growth between the pads of her feet that is causing lameness.

Thank you for the picture.

The most likely cause of what you are seeing is an interdigital cyst. Although these are called cysts they are actually fairly solid inflammatory nodules caused by an inflammatory reaction to broken hairs embedded in the skin between the toes and pads. If you tried to lance it or drain it that would only cause her discomfort and not be helpful in resolving it.

Here is a link to a picture of dog's foot with a small lesion:http://i.imgur.com/88lYN1a.jpg

They are more common in short haired breeds, but any breed can develop them, and are often a result of broken hair follicles, either from licking or chewing at itchy paws from an allergy or trauma associated with heavy play on hard or rough surfaces.

If we can catch them early using espom soaks to reduce inflammation and allow the follicles to open can be very helpful.

The next step is oral antibiotics if a secondary infection occurs. I find Clavamox or Cephalexin to be the most helpful antibiotics.

In some cases we have so much inflammation present that surgery is the only cure. Recently the treatment of choice is laser surgery to remove the affected tissue and cauterize blood vessels, leading to a more comfortable and permanent solution. This should be done by a veterinary surgeon with lots of experience treating these cysts to achieve the best results.

Long term though prevention is key.

So soaking the feet in epsom salts every few days (twice a week) to prevent formation is a great idea. Make sure to dry the paws well after soaking.

Treating or preventing allergies which cause licking and chewing of the feet is a great idea too.

Food allergy is a common trigger for itchy feet so you might want to discuss using a hypoallergenic diet with your veterinarian.

Using antihistamines and omega 3 fatty acids if inhaled allergies are part of the problem may help too.

If you've already tried epsom soaks and an effective broad spectrum antibiotic without success then laser surgery is likely to be the next step.

I will give you a list of antihistamines to try if he seems to lick his paws often as some work better for some dogs than others, you may have to try a few before settling on the right one.

You can try:

1)Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combo products as they can be toxic) at 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15-25 pounds of dog orally every 8 hours.

OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 25 pound dog once or twice daily.

OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 1mg per pound orally every 8 hours.

OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily.

OR 5) Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at 1/2 mg per pound of body weight orally every 24 hours. That would be one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight. Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because dogs cannot tolerate decongestants.

Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another. Give the one you pick a week trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use

Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 80 pound dog could take 1600mg of EPA per day.

Other possible causes for this swelling is a tumor of the oil (sebaceous) glands between the toes, a mast cell tumor, or an amelanotic melanoma. Ideally since the lump is rapidly increasing in size your veterinarian can perform a fine needle aspirate on the bump. It is likely big enough to do so now. He or she puts a tiny needle in the bump, draws cells out, and looks at the cells under the microscope to identify them. That way you can feel more comfortable with the assurance that this isn't something to worry about.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

do you think soaking in epsom salt will help at this stage? I can give her benedryl as well. We used to give that to her for her hot spots. She is not short hair, more mid to long hair but we shave her when she sheds a lot. We also have her in Welactin Omega 3 oil daily as a supplement. She had an appt to see vet this afternoon. Do you think they should drain it? To see what it is?
Also I don’t really see her licking her paws

I think Epsom salt soaks won't hurt, nor will Benadryl and Welactin Omega 3, but as big as it is we may be beyond that.

Yes, I think a fine needle aspirate is a great idea to try to characterize what this mass may be. It looks solid (as interdigital cysts generally are) so draining it likely not an option.

Yes, these are often softer feeling, as the tissue that makes them up is glandular, which is not overly firm feeling. But they are solid tissue, so draining doesn't work. Honestly this looks like surgery, in particular laser surgery, would be best. But I would want to aspirate the mass first to make sure of what I was dealing with.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Ok, thank you. This was helpful.

My pleasure, glad to help.