Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our older cat is wobbling suddenly and falling over and

Customer Question
Our older cat is...

Our older cat is wobbling suddenly and falling over and won’t eat. But purrs and is solicitous and not disoriented.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Kiddo. Age unknown. Stray we’ve been taking care of. Has been vetted within the last 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Kiddo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kiddo?

Not spayed I think. But doesn’t leave our porch.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Has Kiddo had any sneezing, runny/squinty eyes, or nasal discharge in recent months?

The reason I ask is that very often cats with this problem have acute vestibular disease (middle ear) secondary to feline herpesvirus and/or a nasopharyngeal polyp.

Very often the problem corrects itself in a day or two, though. so it is okay to observe her for a day or so before deciding whether or not to take her to your vet.

If she starts vomiting, though, she should be seen due to the risk of dehydration and complications.

Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need clarification.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc