Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a cat who has developed a recurring eye infections,

I have a cat...

I have a cat who has developed a recurring eye infections, often accompanied by sneezing. The infection usually resolves very quickly with oral antibiotic treatment (Clavamox) and he can go for a month or two symptom free, but it starts again. I tend to think it is not herpes, as it is so responsive to antibiotics. Possibly chlamydia or mycoplasma? He is fully immunized. He is on his third infection now. Is there any prophylactic treatment that would be recommended?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Wolfman

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wolfman?

No - he is generally healthy otherwise. He is mostly outdoors. We have a total of six cats.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Wolfman's chronic upper respiratory tract infections. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

I want to start by letting you know that YES there are options for things you can try to minimize the frequency and severity of Wolfman's symptoms.

(typing more)

To start with, I must clarify that it can be difficult to tell for certain sometimes that a conjunctivitis is actually antibiotic responsive. Conjunctivitis caused by herpes IS the most common, and it will come and go regardless of treatment. If the timing is lucky, you may think it was the antibiotic that made it go away.
In your case, it sounds like you're pretty sure that's not what you're observing though...

So, yes... you're correct. That means chlamydophila and/or mycoplasma are likely suspects.

In all of these cases, it is important to be sure your cat has been FeLV/FIV tested. Underlying immunodeficiency diseases will affect the treatment and prevention plan.

(typing more)

For chlamydophila, using a tetracycline type of antibiotic like doxycycline for a full month can help to clear the organism better than a week of Clavamox. That's one thing to try.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he has been tested and is negative for those. The response to antibiotics in each case has been so immediate and so robust that I don't think it's just coincidental.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a dose recommendation for Doxy?

Yes. One moment...

Here's the information on dosing from the formulary...

Doxycycline or tetracycline can be used. Partial or crushed tablets of doxycycline have been shown to cause esophagitis and should not be used. A bolus of water or food is administered after doxycycline tablets or a liquid suspension can be used. Tetracyclines have the potential to discolor tooth enamel when given to kittens or pregnant queens but doxycycline is less likely to do so than tetracycline. Therapy is continued for at least 28 days in order to eliminate the organism.

• Doxycycline: 5 mg/kg PO q 12 hrs or 10-15 mg/kg PO q 24 hrs
  • Tetracycline: 10-22 mg/kg PO q 8 hrs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thanks very much....

Doxy and tetracycline for one month is also considered to be beneficial for mycoplasma.

It's worth noting that the use of L-lysine hasn't been proven to help, even though it is often recommended for conjunctivitis.

All that being said, there is almost always some degree of comorbidity with herpesvirus in recurrent conjunctivitis in cats.
If you try a month-long course of a doxycycline-type of antibiotic and recurrences are still common, it's worthwhile adding an antiviral drug like famcyclovir.

Famciclovir

Famvir®, generic

Tablets
125 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg

90mg/kg q 12 hrs44
Safety established at 90 mg/kg q 12 hrs for 21 days.26,27

I do hope this information is helpful to you and Wolfman.

Is there anything else I can help you with for now? I want to be as helpful as possible because you're dealing with such a chronic and frustrating problem.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks - I did wonder why my vet was not recommending an antiviral, as initially she thought that was the problem. I am a people doctor so I was confused about that...

I'm not surprised she didn't recommend. Because antiviral medications can be pretty expensive, it's not unusual for a vet to delay recommending them as treatment until it's apparent the problem is severe enough to warrant it. I'm not defending that as good medicine, but it happens a lot.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian