Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 8 yr old, indoor only cat is itching, scratching and

Customer Question
My 8 yr old...

My 8 yr old, indoor only cat is itching, scratching and biting areas like crazy. She’s developed patches with crusty, bloody sores

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Crane. Age 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Crane?

She’s developed bald areas with sores. Occasional vomiting that is split pea green in color

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/19/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Where are the balding and sore spots located?

What flea prevention is being used and when was it last dosed?

The itching all around her neck, head and lower limbs. She had several affected areas that’s she won’t allow me to touch but I managed to get one pic. How do I attach pics of the one crusty spot and her flea and tick medicine.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

I created an imgur acct but not sure how to get the pics to you using this app. Sorry!
https://imgur.com/gallery/4NY8n

Thank you. Give me one moment to look, your reply just arrived.

Thank you. Sorry it took so long. So, she's on revolution. How long ago was this applied? Does she receive any regular baths?

I gave her a round of Revolution 3 days ago. However, the crusty patches were there before the treatment. No, we don’t bathe her at all. She doesn’t like baths.

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like she may be experiencing seasonal allergies with the scratching and scabs she's causing. I'm glad to hear she's not bathed as this could potentially wash the Revolution off of her. It's always smart to ask for good measure. Since she is damaging her skin and uncomfortable, I do think it would be wise to have her examined and treated by your vet. A steroid injection would likely make her much more comfortable in a matter of hours. You could also try an OTC human antihistamine called Chlorpheniramine. 2-4mg can be given every 12-24 hours orally as needed for itchiness. If she will permit it, I'd also try to rub a dab of regular neosporin in well daily on each of the scabs she's caused. This will help prevent infection.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Can you explain the $22 I was charged? I thought it was $5 for a question.

Experts don't have access to billing information, but I can put you in touch with customer service. They oversee our pricing, so they will be able to explain the charges.