Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just took my cat to the vet because he was coughing for 4…

Customer Question
Hi! I just took...

Hi! I just took my cat to the vet because he was coughing for 4 days. the vet suspected asthma since I started using a new litter fairly recently.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?

She gave him 3 pills of 4mg of cyprothelene and he looked groggy, and couldn't walk well. i'm wondering what the usual dosage for this med is.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

If the xrays indicate asthma, she prescribed the cat version of prednisone.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/19/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I can be of some help.

I am personally unfamiliar with "cyprothelene", is it possible this is spelled incorrectly?

I am assuming by the cat version of prednisone you me prednisolone.

If you can double check on the "cyprothelen" I can try to help in regards ***** ***** dosage / possible adverse affects.

Write me back when you are able and I will respond as soon as I can to continue the conversation, thanks. - Dr. Peck.

the correct spellling is Cyproheptadine, an antihistimine used for cats. I wanted to check on the dosage amount usually given to cats for a asthma/breathing issues.
Also,you are correct when you said me prednisolone.My cat was coughing for 4 days, and I took him to the vet today. She gave him 3 pills, I believe 4mg each of me Cyproheptadine. I'm wondering if this could have been a mistake? My cat is probably around 10 lbs or under. He was acting very lethargic and possibly threw up later. (not sure, I have multiple cats.) just curious what the normal dosage for cats is for an allergic reaction.Also, if the cat's xrays do indicate asthma (which I will find out tomorrow), is it possible that he still needs the prednislone? Maybe the antihistimine will work? I will also query my vet tomorrow. :)It seems like my cat had an allergic reaction to a new type of litter, and want to take the most conservative treatment option
At any rate I think 3x 4mg of the Cyproheptadine was too much, and plan to give him less tomorrow. Thanks for your expertise.

Cyproheptadine was my guess but I didn't want to assume.

It is used in cats for appetite stimulation, anti-itching (antihistamine), and less commonly for serotonin syndrome as it is a serotonin antagonist.

The dose ranges from 1-4 mg per cat by mouth twice daily or less for appetite stimulation, or 0.35 -1mg/kg twice daily or less if calculated.

For antihistamine effects it's typically dosed at 2mg per cat every 12 hours, or 1.1mg/kg every 12 hours if calculated. For adjunctive treatment of feline asthma (in regards ***** ***** antihistamine effects), it's suggested dosing is 2mg by mouth every 12 hours.

As far as I'm aware this only comes in 4mg tablets. This seems like a high dose to me and I would anticipate some sedation. Is your cat very large? I'm wondering if your vet calculated a dose rather than going with the 2mg per cat dosing. I'd confirm with your vet what was given, it may be something else was administered as well or you miscounted?

...Just saw your cat is 10lbs or less. If 12mg was given that's quite a high dose according to my dosing references and I'm not surprised with the sedation. That being said, antihistamines in general are quite safe and it may be your vet was concerned and wanted to go high for some reason- I don't have the full clinical context here so I can't really judge on that.

If the x-rays look like asthma I'd suggest instituting short term prednisolone and I would inquire with your vet about considering an inhaler... yes an inhaler for cats! :) Much better at decreasing systemic side effects of long term steroid administration. Fluticasone is often used. An "aerokat" inhaler is used - look them up online! But yes, steroids are typically needed, and often a rescue albuterol inhaler as well in some cases, I wouldn't anticipate the cypro to help except for very minor cases.

I would give him less of the cypro (e.g. 1/2 of a 4mg tablet) until you are able to consult with your vet again about the recommended dosing. It may be they are aware of dosing guidelines that are different than mine, but best to play it safe until you can discuss.

I tried to touch on everything, let me know if you have additional comments or questions, write me back again and I'll reply as soon as I am able to.

Please also at this time go ahead and rate kindly using the stars, this is how I receive credit for helping with your question today, thanks! -Dr. Peck.

Thanks for your help! It's great to get an answer when I am very concerned about my cats health and the vet isn't available.Cheers,Angela

You're very welcome Angela! Good luck with him!

Be sure to rate kindly using the stars on the screen, this compensates us for our time on the site, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peck