Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Constipation> I would like a natural stool softener not a…

Constipation> I would...

Constipation> I would like a natural stool softener not a laxative

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Micah is 7 and has been diagnosed with lymphoma. Biospsy of a large abdominal mass in late 2016.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Micah?

He does not have any current lumps. But his stool is very hard and he tends to get constipated.

3/19/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr.Snow, and I can try and help you with Micah. I'm sorry to hear he has lymphoma. :(

Is he eating well? Have you tried any stool softeners already? I just don't want to recommend something you've already tried.

He is not eating well. My normal vet has recommended aloe vera juice but I researched and saw that was not a good long term solution. I have just recently put him on FortiFlora by Purina. It's sort of like cat crack, sprinkle it on anything and they'll it it.

Yes, Fortiflora is a good product! Any other meds?

He gets 0.5 ml prednisolone daily.

Ok, and what kind of food does he eat?

He normally eats only Fancy Feast pate in Classic Chicken or Beef flavors. My vet suggested I try to transition them to a grain free and he is enjoying some of the fish flavors in grain free options. He does not normally eat any dry food. He is a long-haired cat. Looks like a Himalayan with seal point markings but it is unlikely he is full bred Himalayan as I rescued him from a manufacturing facility when he was approximately 12 weeks old.

Oh, I bet he is beautiful! Canned food is good - the best for cats!

There are some options for stool softening in cats.

Have you thought about trying Miralax? It works great for softening stools in cats. There's also just plain psyllium, which is a water soluble fiber that also may work.

The MiraLax sounds like an option. How much would you suggest I give him? He weights 8.9 lbs. as of last week.

Miralax comes as a powder. I would start with 1/4th a teaspoon sprinkled on the food twice a day. You can use it with the Fortiflora powder. We can always up the dose, but thats generally what I start with.

Sarah Snow
I'll give it a try. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!