Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat alex has not pooped today. what can i do to help him.

Good evening. my cat...

Good evening. my cat alex has not pooped today. what can i do to help him. should i find an er for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Alex?

He is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alex?

No other health problems

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK

I understand that you are concerned about Alex not defecating today.

How is he feeling otherwise? Is he lethargic or is he as active as he normally would be?

Is he eating and drinking s usual?

Any changes in food or treats recently?

Have his stools been very hard and difficult to pass lately?

Has he been straining to pass stools without being able to do so?

Not all cats defecate every day, although most do.

If he is still eating and drinking normally and not vomiting there are a few things we can do to help him.
One is to increase fiber by adding canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. One tablespoon to each meal to start.
These are just guidelines, you can adjust the amount based on his ease passing stool as well as whether his stool is too soft.
If you have Miralax you can use that instead of the pumpkin. Sprinkle 1/8 th of a teaspoon on his meals. If you use Miralax make sure to increase his fluid intake greatly as it works by drawing fluids into the intestines and can lead to dehydration if his fluid intake isn't increased enough. Feed canned food only and add water or broth to his meals.
Increasing the amount of fluids in his diet in general will help. You can add low salt chicken or beef broth to his food. The more fluids he takes in the better so if he likes to drink out of a dripping tap give him access to that as well.
Play and being active helps to get the intestinal tract moving properly too so if he is willing try to get him to play and run.
If he is vomiting or no longer eating we are probably beyond home therapy. He needs to see his veterinarian. But you can use the above tips for preventative measures in the future. And if he seems to have chronic troubles with constipation pumpkin can be used chronically if needed.
You might also wish to add a probiotic to get his gut bacteria back to normal. Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac are very good ones.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alex was moving good this morning but this evening he is lethargic. He did not eat all of his food today and not really drinking water. He he tries to go bathroom he does not seem to go. After he tries he licks his butt.
We will try your guildlines

I'm sorry to hear that he is lethargic, is not eating normally and is straining but not able to pass stools.

Unfortunately it sounds like he is probably beyond helping at home. If he has not passed any stools by tomorrow morning then he should see his veterinarian. He may need an enema.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian