Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has started a very odd behavior this morning. I have…

My cat has started...

My cat has started a very odd behavior this morning. I have realized he has lost interest in walking and jumping has become a big challenge. My cat will stand on his back legs with front paws up when at my feet and he has never done this. He still is eating and drinking but seems to be sleeping today a lot more then usual. My cat is usually a very active noisy cat and this is just strange and from no were. It’s almost as if he has forgotten how to jump and very uncomfortable for him to move. Have noticed two half inch bald spots on his front right leg and these are also new... he is an inside cat. Wanting to take him to animal hospital and some advice on what might be causing this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?

Wiley and he is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wiley?

Everything has been pretty normal until this morning.

After examining him more closely he seems to be missing hair on both front legs .... were he has pulled it out.
3/19/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Is he limping on the front legs?

Do you have other cats?

Thank you so very much... No he isnt limping what so ever but he does act very uncomfortable and when he does lay down and kinda tucks and untucks his front paws. No he is our only cat we do have two dogs.

Can you upload a photo(s) of the hair loss on the front legs to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Is he eating ok?

Okay I can try to get some pictures for you. He doesn’t really allow me mess with his arms at the moment might take me a minute. Yes he is eating still.. his appetite hasn’t changed much.

Ok. I'll be here.

Don't get bitten or scratched and if you can't then we can still try and work things through wiithout a picture

Ok - good job!. Give me a minute to look at them

Ok thank you.
I cleaned his liter box yesterday with bleach do you think this could be what is causing him discomfort ??

Did you wash the litter box out well and leave to dry before re-using it?

I thought I washed it pretty good ... I usually always use bleach when cleaning it. I did not allow to dry all the way before adding new litter

Pretty sure that it would not be the bleach. Especially if you washed it out well.

Give me a minute to type

Their hairloss in the photos looks very odd! It is not associated with any swelling or inflammed skin and I wonder if it is a bit of incidental finding or just a coincidence. He doesn't seem too upset in the photos with you touching those areas either.

The symptoms you describe of not wanting to jump, sitting oddly and uncomfortable to move sound more like a back or neck injury. These are classic symptoms for a cat with this kind of problem. This may just be a soft tissue injury, especially as we seem well otherwise.

You could try giving your cat strict rest for 24-48 hrs to see if it improves. This means cofining them to a very small room like a bathroom or laundry. If does not improv then I would be taking him to your vet for an examination.

Okay thank you, ***** ***** go outside with the dogs every now and then and he was out there with them yesterday I wonder if something happened. I will see how he behaves within the next day and if he doesn’t improve I will take him straight in. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

My pleasure.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian