Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 2 indoor senior cats. The male, Razz, is 16 1/2 years…

Customer Question
I have 2 indoor...

I have 2 indoor senior cats. The male, Razz, is 16 1/2 years old and the female, Fifi, is almost 13. They never go outside, but somehow they now have fleas. I would like to know what are safe and effective treatments that I can try to do myself at home, if possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Both names are ***** ***** in my first message. I guess you didn't read it in its entirety.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

My boy Razz had a bladder obstruction few ears ago.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/18/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

The veterinary prescription products, such as Bravecto and Comfortis, are more effective than the over the counter products.

Do if you find there a still flea issues, a week after you apply the over the counter product, I would take one of the cats into the vet for a prescription flea control.

In terms of over the counter products I would choose Advantage 2 drops. Apply them to the cats every 4 weeks for at least three months.

Flea busters product, with the active ingredient boric acid, is very safe to use in the environment.

The boric acid dries out the exoskeleton of the fleas.

It does not harm pets or humans.

www.fleabusters.com

It is recommended that the floors are vacuumed every day. However, I do not think that is very realistic. If you can vacuum a couple of times a week that will vacuum the flea eggs and fleas from the floor.

The life cycle of fleas happens over a three month period.

So you will have to use the flea preventative and environmental treatment for at least three months.

My own pets had a flea infestation last year. I tried frontline, advantage, capstar tablets environmental spray and non of that worked.

Then I got Bravecto tablets and the fleas were gone in a few days.

The Bravecto is prescription though.

Did all of that make sense? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Do the Advantage 2 drops kill not only the adult fleas, but also the larvae and eggs? Also, are they safe for senior cats?
And now it turns out that Advantage does not work?

Do the Advantage 2 drops kill not only the adult fleas, but also the larvae and eggs?

Yes

Also, are they safe for senior cats?

Yes

You can try it. It did not work for me but I had an infestation, for about two weeks, rather than a couple of fleas.