Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Miss Pearl! Our seven month old kitten, Rosie, has began…

Hi there Miss Pearl...

Hi there Miss Pearl! Our seven month old kitten, Rosie, has began acting unusual, and we are trying to determine if she is in heat or if she may be constipated, ate something like a string, or other medical type concerns. She is supposed to be spayed within the next week or two. She is crouching low to the ground, bottom up with tail up in the air. She is also lying on her side and scooting a little by kicking her back feet. She does not appear to be in pain, she really stretches back to allow me to rub and feel all over her body, including her tummy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if Rosie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?

Nothing other than she is resting now, curled up, and quiet.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Rosie. It sure sounds like she is in heat, from your description.

Is she eating? If so, she does not likely have a string foreign body. She would be vomiting, and not eating. The behavior you describe is pretty classic for a cat in heat, and she is the right age.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your quick reply, Dr. Rebecca! How long would you recommend that we wait before having her spayed? She is such a precious little girl... she makes the cutest little noises instead of meowing. Just want to make sure we do what is best for her.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ps...she is eating, however she is not eating her wet food right now... just the dry.

You are welcome. I would have her spayed anytime now. She can be spayed while in heat.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Review completed! Thank you! We are all feeling much, much better! Just a random thought to share... a parent of a student in my child's class has written cat behavior books...but unfortunately, she was not available nor is she a veterinarian. Thank you again! God Bless!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://www.catbehaviorassociates.com

Thanks for the link and the bonus!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian