Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat just recently just stopped all of a sudden eating the…

My cat just recently...

My cat just recently just stopped all of a sudden eating the same food he's been eating for about 2 years I went on a trip and came back to find him so fit he's still drinking and going to the bathroom what could be possibly wrong with him? Is he just missing me or is he fickle or should I take him to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Leo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?

He has asthma he's 15lbs before I left now he's 12 lbs..He's eating but has low bm & losing fur?

3/18/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

At this point, it almost doesn't matter why he quit eating, as far as your need to take him to your local vet goes. Three pounds is a huge weight loss and even if it started just because he was lonely, he now could be developing hepatic lipidosis (liver failure) from not eating. So he needs to be looked at right away and probably get a blood panel and urinalysis to figure out what is wrong.

How long were you gone on your trip?

Was he totally indoors while you were gone?

Has he had any vomiting since you got back or did he vomit at all when you were gone?

5 days & he's eating now got different dry food mixed with wet he does not go outside
Once while gone hairball & once just now

If he is eating normal amounts of food for you now, you are probably safe in just observing him. Poor guy.

But at the first sign of any more problems you should take him in. Or if he does any more vomiting.

He had cicadas in his water bowl are they poisonous to cats..7 so far in a week

Oh my goodness! Does he eat them or do they just fall in and drown?

Where do you live that this is cicada season?

I am not Sure If he are in just found them while in water
Are

Word among vets is that they are not toxic to pets but the exoskeleton is tough and can cause upset stomach.

Cats did evolve eating bugs along with birds and reptiles and rodents. High quality, if disgusting, protein.

My clinic mascot occasionally finds cockroaches here in SoCal and he eats them like popcorn.

What would make car just stop eating
That's funny..mine plays with indoor ants

Well the list of possibilities is really really long. Sometimes if they eat something that disagrees with them it will happen. Stress from a change in the environment (like you leaving) can do it.

But a lot of diseases can do it, too. So that's why you need to watch him close and make sure he gets back on an even keel very quickly. Anything from a mild fever due to a virus, all the way up to cancer or some other deadly disease could cause loss of appetite. This is why we do physical exams and lab tests. It would be SO much easier if cats spoke English and could just tell us what is going on.

And loss of appetite with inadequate caloric intake for as little as 3 days can lead to liver failure ever if the original problem is cleared up.

Isn't that the truth..I work notes & am in nursing school but family keeping close eye on him..he hates to ride in the car..howla all the way to ver..off tues will take him then if not sooner if he worsens

Okay, sounds like a plan. Hope he just eats normally and doesn't vomit again. Get some meat back on that fatty's bones, lol.

Thank you so much

YVW, happy to help.

You can bookmark this chat window and return for an update in a couple of days.

When you are through, please be sure to rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

I will I'm in Kansas City mo

Thanks.

If you see another of these bugs in the next few days, attach a pic of it here for me to look at. I bet it's something other than a cicada, which hatch out in the summer.

(I wanted to be an entomologist before I decided to be a vet, so I have an endless fascination with insects)

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian