Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Pearl. My cat is playful, acting normally and while she

Customer Question
Hi, Pearl. My cat...

Hi, Pearl. My cat is playful, acting normally and while she seems to not be eating, she sniffs her food and wants treats. She had two small little yellowish diarrhea spots just now, but after took a treat, sniffed her food and snubbed it. Not necessarily diarrhea, but yellow-ish smears with what looks like hair in them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Coco, and she is 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?

No, she goes in waves--she will go from eating a lot for days, then she'll get picky, then she 'll get peckish, and usually go back All other stool looks normal. She did start drinking more yesterday--she prefers running water, and I have had some faucet issues

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear Coco is not eating consistently and having some soft stool. How long has this been going on. When you say you have had faucet issues, do you mean that the water could have been contaminated with bacteria?

Hi, Dr Rachel. My faucet issues mean that there was a leak, and that I had to shut the water off except when actively using the shower or sink. She has a bowl of fresh water at all times, but she prefers running water, and lapping it up from a faucet. :)She did take a few bites of food after I initially wrote in. The stool, as it turned out, is thick and sludgy, not necessarily loose--I found some smear marks in the kitchen, like she dragged her bottom. Her litterbox otherwise looks normal. The thick sludgy droppings started today, as far as I know. The extra-finicky eating started early last week. After I wrote in, she did chase a laser and climb on things.

Glad to hear she seems to be feeling better. It could be that she ate something that didn't agree with her, like an insect. You can help settle her stomach by giving her a 5 mg tablet of Pepcid every 12 hours as needed (if she is being a fussy eater, for example). If she continues to eat poorly or has any vomiting and/or diarrhea or decreased energy, I would get her in to the vet for some lab work. At age 9, she is considered a senior cat and we would want to make sure she doesn't have any underlying problems that could be causing her signs. Older cats can develop things like liver and kidney disease, irritable bowel disease, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism, to name just a few things.