Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat needs to gain weight. I have been giving her extra…

My cat needs to...

My cat needs to gain weight. I have been giving her extra treats. What could I cook for her that she would like and to help her to gain weight?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?

She has been sick for a few months and I had her stayed and she only has about forty percent lung capacity. She seems to want to be with me so I don't put her down. She does eat. Just not enough

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

She does not have pain and she is taking prednisone to keep her comfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is your cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sophie?

3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?

She breathes fast otherwise she is good

3/18/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sophie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Does Sophie have asthma? Is that why she is having trouble breathing and taking the prednisone? Is she taking Prednisone or prednisolone?

She does not have asthma and she is taking prednisolone.

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here.

Why was the prednisolone prescribed? What was making her uncomfortable?

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Her fast breathing makes her uncomfortable
I would like to keep the conversation going here
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

If she is needing to gain weight, it doesn't matter what you feed her if she is not taking in enough calories, she will not gain weight. It is best to stick with a commercial cat food from the standpoint of being a balanced diet with all of the essential nutrients she needs. There are various appetite stimulants that can be prescribed that work very well to help them increase their food intake. There is one called mirtazipine and one called cyproheptadine. Both are administered orally and would need to be prescribed by your veterinarian. There is also a high calorie prescription cat food that is often prescribed to help cats increase calorie intake, especially after being ill. It is called Hills a/d.

If you get her to accept more food, but she is still not gaining weight, there may be a physical reason why she is not absorbing the nutrients she is eating. If that is the case, she may have disease in her intestine that is the cause. Inflammatory bowel disease is very common in cats and a cause of low body weight. If that is the case, it doesn't matter what she eats, she will not gain weight unless that is addressed. I would talk to your veterinarian about a work up to look for GI disease.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz