Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has had fleas so bad that he was bleeding. The

Second opinion] My cat...

Second opinion] My cat has had fleas so bad that he was bleeding. The bleeding stopped but he seems kind of lethargic. How do I know if he is anemic. Do i need to take him to the vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?

Sammy 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?

He is sleeping on the cable box

3/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The only way to be 100% sure if a pet is anemic is to have a hematocrit (bloodwork) performed. Anemia can occur in more profound flea infestations. A few fleas won't cause anemia, but a true infestation certainly can, in any age of cat. How long did you battle fleas? What treatment has been provided thus far? Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

He has been battling fleas for last 3 wks. I gave him advantage 2. I've decided to take him to the vet because he is not himself.
He seems lethargic. I've been researching about how bad fleas can be. He lost a lot of blood but he seemed to be ok.
He is eating ok, So he could have an infection, have tapeworms? I was just going to take him to the groomer for a flea bath

Flea baths can make cats feel worse as the chemicals they use can be toxic to them. I would not do this. I would wait until you're ready to apply the advantage again, then give him a bath in dawn dish soap to strip off flea dirt, fleas, etc. He can have tapeworms, so ask your vet about deworming him while he's in. I would also ask for at least a CBC so you can get a determination on if he's anemic and, if so, how bad the anemia is. Anemia can be fatal if a cat loses enough blood. Depending on how bad this is, he may need a blood transfusion.

At home, please be sure to take these additional steps to help overcome the flea infestation. Advantage alone can take months to work if the environment is not being treated, too: https://www.1800petmeds.com/education/get-rid-of-fleas-in-home-7.htm

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Sammy doing today? There's no additional charge to provide updates, so feel free to update me and let me know if you have any additional questions today on this topic.

I took Sammy to the vet. He has a fever. Dr prescribed steroids & started him on Revolution, Knock out spray for house.
I have to spray & vacuum every day. He also has lost weight. The dr said to give him two weeks & if he is not doing better
she will do bloodwork. She didn't think he was anemic.

I am glad to hear it! How is Sammy feeling today? Any improvement?

Just took him to the vet this morning. He is resting now. I feel so bad for him. I am very glad I took him to the vet.
He looks better.

I am glad to hear he's improved. I'll check in with you in a few days to see how he's doing. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse