Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has had fleas so bad that he was bleeding. The

Customer Question
My cat has had...

My cat has had fleas so bad that he was bleeding. The bleeding stopped but he seems kind of lethargic. How do I know if he is anemic. Do i need to take him to the vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?

Sammy 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?

He is sleeping on the cable box

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/18/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Sammy isn't feeling well. Checking his gum color will give you a clue about whether or not he is anemic. What color are his gums?

I can't get him to open his mouth
is it possible that he has an infection from swallowing fleas or tapeworms or vet has to check stools for worms

Do you see any white things that look like grains of rice in his stools or under his tail? Those are tapeworms.

are you going to answer me
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Rachel for you. I recommend that you bring Sammy to his vet to have a hematocrit (PCV/packed cell volume) performed which will tell you if Sammy is anemic. He appears to suffer from a flea saliva allergy which can be addressed with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone which usually works wonders in these cats. Finally, he's likely to be harboring tapeworms which are usually due to ingesting a flea that contains a larval tapeworm. Even if those worms' eggs aren't seen in a fecal ova and parasite exam (they often aren't even if tapeworms are present) Sammy should be presumptively wormed with a product containing praziquantel. These can be found over the counter* or his vet can inject Sammy with praziquantel. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

*https://www.chewy.com/bayer-tapeworm-cat-de-wormer-3-count/dp/139677?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Bayer&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwnLjVBRAdEiwAKSGPIzMfitTo2-IPHFi292-0ZSOlidj3lHrO55Qsozz18s3JILrulfIu9BoCWPIQAvD_BwE