Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is peeing a bit out of the litter and I am noticing some…

He is peeing a...

He is peeing a bit out of the litter and I am noticing some blood in it. Would this be a urinary track infection? He is between 7-8 neutered male indoor cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Puck

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Puck?

No problems so far

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Yes, the most likely cause would be a urinary tract infection. Inflammation, and bladder stones, can cause blood in the urine and inappropriate urination as well.

If he is eating well, not vomiting, and not in distress he can wait until tomorrow to see the vet.

I would put him in the bathroom, with his food, water, and litter box so urinating out of it does not become a habit.

Once the inflammation, which causes pain and the feeling he must urinate where he is at the moment, is resolved then he should go back to urinating in the box as usual.

Does that make sense and help?

Thanks, ***** *****

You are very welcome. If you have any other questions, feel to reply at any time.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian