Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Crying at night..know one around just upstairs crying. and…

Crying at night..know one...

Crying at night..know one around just upstairs crying.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Mason and he is 14yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mason?

14

3/18/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on your history, I have to say that I am concerned about Mason's behavior. When a older cat suddenly becomes restless and vocalizes in the night for what appears for no reason, there can be a reason for the behavior that has to do with the cat's health and mental status rather then needing your attention in the middle of the night. Specifically, it isn’t uncommon to find older cats demonstrating disorientation with night time vocalizing when they are suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure). High blood pressure can be an old age change but can also be precipitated by underlying kidney issues, heart issues, or metabolic conditions like hyperthyroidism.

To determine if his blood pressure is elevated, you may want to consider having your vet check his blood pressure. This is something that is done conscious and can often be performed during a consult (or sometimes we will admit stressy cats to let them settle before taking a reading). If it is high, there are treatments that can be used to bring this down and the vocalizing usually declines with the blood pressure. At the same time, you could also have him checked for those potential primary disease (especially if yo've also noticed he drinks/urinates more then he used to). And again treating these will reduce the blood pressure to normal and the howling usually settles.

If he is tested and found to have a normal blood pressure, then we can breathe a wee sigh of relief and turn our focus on the 'harder to diagnose' conditions that can be associated with older age. In older cats, any change in environment and coping with his own older age (ie. sight deterioration, mental confusion, etc), can be daunting for kitties. And in these cases, a cat may be vocalizing because he is struggling to get used to a change. And there are things we can do to help support him with that situation as well.

To give him the feeling of a peaceful safe environment, you might want to consider some de-stressing tools. Feliway, (also known as Comfort Zone in the US pet stores) is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to soothe kitty anxiety. This can be used as a spray (that can be used on furniture or his cat bed) or a plug-in diffuser (that can be used in the room he is in most often). This may just be enough to soothe him and help him cope with being in this aged situation. As well, there is also a diet on the market called Calm by Royal Canin. This contains a number of supplements that have been found to provide stress relief to cats. As well, there are nutritional supplements like Kalmaid or Zylkene, which use a casein protein to soothe anxious cats.

Overall, I would advise ruling out hypertension/high blood pressure if he has started to cry at night in this manner. If he is nearly due for a booster, then you might consider having his blod pressure checked at the same time. If you find that this isn't the trigger, then we'd have to consider feline anxiety/dementia being the cause of his signs and could take the above steps to ease his anxiety.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Thank you I was worried that he might have medical problems. He has always been very vocal cat but this night time crying and attacking our other cat has me worried. I will try anxiety meds.thanks so much.

You are very welcome, my dear.

They are always a concern at this age especially when they have a behavior change from their previous normal. But do try the above for that side of our concerns and hopefully he will feel less defensive (often they react to the other cat because they feel vulnerable and want to make sure the other cat doesn't get ideas of bothering them) and calm. Though when you can do have his blood pressure checked just to be safe as that can be quite manageable for them.

Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.