Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Second opinion] I have 3 cats 1 Angora female about 6 years…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have 3 cats 1 Angora female about 6 years old, 1 mancoon male about 7 years old and 1 grey t

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

All three have come down with a really bad cold or a respiratory infection, we've taken to our vet, but since it was deadline for licensing the vet couldnt see all three as there were probably hundreds of dogs and cats coming and going. He gave one an antibiotic shot and sent us had me with liquids drops for the other two which is not easy to do, but we got it done. This all happened when we acquired a new cat, due to her owners sudden death! The sneezing started with the new cat after we took her to the vet when we first took her for a welfare check! It's been almost a week and no one is peeing or pooing? Today is the first time any of them have eaten, they are so miserable and congested and the vet said yeah that happens!!! Not at my house! What can I do to aleveate their symptoms and make them more comfortable while they ride this out???

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Fella, he's the sickest! Mimzy Darling she sneezes the most and Sheeba the new one

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He's been our vet forever, and Sheeba the new one was one of my best friends cat, but she had to move out of state, so I took the cat for a friend to care for, unfortunately that friend died very suddenly on my living room floor. When we went to pick up Sheeba that night we realized there was a bed bug infestation in the apartment, so we took her to the vet the next morning well low and behold now we have bed bugs s there a connection between the two?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/18/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry to read about the cats all being sick.

We often see when one cat comes down with a Respiratory infection it travels through all of the cats.

We can try to get them more comfortable. The fiisrt thing we want to do is use a Pedialtric nose drop called Little Noses saline Nose Draops. You can use one drop in each nostril every 8 hours. This will help loosen mucus and help with breathing and smalling.

Cats go by their noses when eating. We can help entice them to eat if we use smelly foods like fish while they are ill and add fish water fro tuma to get them to drink. The more odor from the fish the better it is to allow them to smell and go for the food. YOu can also take them into a steamy bathroom for 15 mins, which will help break up mucus.

The Bed bugs have no relation to tge Repiratory infection. They are either Viral or Bacterial. If your Vet gave you Antibiotics, then he is assuming it is a bacterial infection and will resolve with the Antibiotics and time.

Please hit reply for questions. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Just giving the two the antibiotic drops twice a day has caused them so much stress I can't imagine what giving them nose drops would do. They all have had an upheaval beyond their control and we don't want to add to their stress anymore than we have to. We can't get them to the vet until Wednesday, but I'm nof sure I want to take them there again? Its like taking your babies to day care. I wouldn't want to spread the ick any farther! I've been feeding them warmed up fancy feast, all in their new dishes and in separate rooms away from each other, but that seems to cause them stress as well?

Ther is nor a medication other than the antibiotics that will help. I like to use the steamy bathroom for congestion and it will help break it up. Maybe a humidifier will help if you run it in the house, I totally understand your reluctance of going back to the clinic. That would be stressful for all.

I would offer tuna water, the smelly food and just try adn keep them comfortable. I would allow the to eat together if that makes them happy. It may encourage the sicker ones to eat and drink. You are correct about lessing stress. AS far as stress affect the immune system.

My plan is to allow them to eat together

feed strong smelling foods

Use a humidifier and keep a watch on them

See your Vet if not getting better..

Joan

How is your cat doing? have you tried the saline and the smelly food?

Joan